Canadian Advisory Council
Created by a unanimous vote of the Insights Association Board on January 24, the Canadian Advisory Council is a new committee of the association tasked with providing guidance to the Board regarding the unique needs of Canadian members. The membership of the Council includes insights leaders from across Canada. The Council's mission is to protect, expand and advance the business and practice of marketing research, intelligence and data analytics/science through member benefits tailored to Canadian insights companies and professionals. The Council includes:
- Catie Brooks, Strategy & Insights, McDonald's
- Joseph Chen, Insights Lead, Chocolate, North America, Mondelez
- Corrin Harper, President, Insightrix Research
- Isabelle Landreville, President & Chief Insight Seeker, Sylvestre & Co.
- Bernie Malinoff, President, element 54
- Scott Megginson, President, Insights Division, Kantar Canada
- Raj Manocha, Chief Revenue Officer, Delvinia; President, Methodify
- Aileen O’Doherty, Head of Customer Insights, Home Depot
- Alyssa Rodrigo, Director of Insights, AbinBev
- Lee Vernon, Manager, Commercial Insights and Planning, Metro
- Catherine Yuile, Executive Vice President, Insights & Analytics, Edelman
Scott Megginson is chairing the Council with Alyssa Rodrigo serving as vice chair.
Advanced Professional Researcher Certification (APRC)*
A longstanding industry credential, Professional Researcher Certification (PRC) is a distinctive indicator of dedication to the research practice. In early 2019, PRC will become APRC,* incorporating significant enhancements and updates in a partnership with the Market Research Institute International and the University of Georgia, the program is ideally suited to coordinate with the CMRP program and provide benefits to existing and prospective participants. Our goal is that CMRP will transfer directly into APRC with any partial CMRPs transferring credits towards APRC.
The Insights Association recently invested in a sophisticated online system which enables all PRC participants to easily manage their continuing education credit activity. The system automatically tracks all aspects of a member's certification account, including continuing education credits which expire on a rolling basis. Detailed account status is now reported and managed in real time.
Working closely with many of the leading collegiate market research programs, the Insights Association is committed to the APRC program and the credential as the foremost indication of the highest ethics and standards, a commitment to remaining abreast of new techniques and technologies, and an objective measure of knowledge and proficiency. Via agreements with AAPOR, PMRG, the University of Georgia and others, APRC is and will continue to be an ideal framework for practitioner training and career qualification.
APRC's core body of knowledge requirements include:
- The Purpose of Market Research and the Research Process
- Research Design and Data Identification
- Sampling in Market Research
- Qualitative Market Research
- Quantitative Data Collection Methods
- Measurement and Questionnaire Design
- Working with Secondary Data: Syndicated and Big Data
- Introduction to Data Analysis
- Advanced Analytic Techniques
- Communicating Research Results
- Global Market Research
- Emerging Methods and the Future of Market Research
- Ethical and Legal Issues in Market Research
Certificate programs also are planned for 2019 to enable practitioners to specialize in certain areas, such as:
- Global Research (GR)
- Ethical/Legal (EL)
- Social Media Analytics (SM)
- Qualitative Research (QL)
- Data/Advanced Analytics (DA)S
- Project Management (PM)
- Synthesis/Strategy (ST)
- Insights Leader (IL)
*APRC name subject to final approvals
Canadian Events Scheduled for 2019
The first is an addition to the association’s highly rated and growing CEO Summit series, which made its international debut in London last fall focused on the successful leadership of insights businesses. The new CEO Summit Toronto is scheduled for May 13-15.
The second – Insights CA – will be a new and wide-ranging insights and analytics conference emphasizing paths to success as the industry transitions from conducting primary research to implementing business guidance based upon a broad array of data sources to secure competitive advantage.
Unbiased Education & Training – Forums & Conferences Essential for Learning & Network Building
“Alarmingly deficient” is how a recent study described the level of training among market researchers. The Insights Association is addressing the need to master core principles and processes, as well as new techniques with many webinars.
A record number attended Insights Association conferences this year. Conferences hosted by the Insights Association in 2018 included:
- CEO Summit: Designed for C-level executives at small to mid-sized firms, this event continues to grow in popularity. It provides an environment where leaders can share their experiences in an open and trusting setting and be challenged to explore pressing MR leadership issues.
- CEO Summit Europe: Hosted in London in partnership with the Market Research Society (UK), our first-ever conference outside the U.S. received rousing reviews.
- NEXT: Devoted to sharing unique and essential research-on-research on current and emerging techniques. Sessions detail novel practices to improve data quality and enable attendees to discover transformative innovations.
- Corporate Researchers Conference (CRC): The only event by, for, and about corporate researchers. Insights leaders within brands comprised more than half of the record 700+ attendees.
- Insights Leadership Conference (ILC): Designed for C-level executives, this event provides a unique opportunity to benchmark with peers and obtain insider information to course-correct your company’s future.
- Converge: Designed to bridge traditional market research, data science and advanced analytics, this debut event brought together innovators from across the insights ecosystem.
Our Code of Standards and Ethics: Proof of Your Commitment to Quality
The Insights Association Code of Standards and Ethics for Marketing Research and Data Analytics, developed by a task force of experts and approved unanimously by the membership in February, 2018, provides foundational support for best practices and self-regulation of the insights process and performance. The Code’s concise, plain language is purposely broad. It reflects changes in insights practice in a global context, while relying on supplemental guidance by ESOMAR/GRBN, EphMRA and others for specific research applications.
Legal requirements unique to Canada are defined under the Code as identified in its appendices and supplemental guidance.
A Legacy of Government Relations Success
Decades of work with federal and state policymakers have built a valuable appreciation of the merits of marketing research and analytics practice and have helped fortify an accommodating environment for our industry.
We are excited by the prospect of working with the Canadian Research Industry Council (CRIC) and regulatory experts in Canada to bolster advocacy efforts there to further the success of the Canadian insights community.
Company ISO Certification for Operational Benefits and Market Access/Differentiation
Secure internationally recognized quality management certification through the Insights Association's Certification Institute for Research Quality – "CIRQ" – to ISO research standards 20252 and 26362. Additionally, CIRQ offers certification to information security standard ISO 27001 to secure recognition and operational benefits related to data security, including industry-concensus best practices to thwart data breaches.
CIRQ also participates in the important work of finalizing and roll-out of a new-for-2019 ISO 20252 market research standard – which includes the merger of 20252, 26362 and 19731 (for data analytics).
Anytime Peer Information Exchange
Sheltered from sales pitches and irrelevant posts, members utilize our Engage online forums to get answers and advice on various topics and receive trusted references on needed products and services. Separate forums have been created exclusively for C-level executives as well as for Corporate Researchers and one can easily be designated for exclusive use by Canadian-based companies and practitioners.
Exclusive News, Trend Reports & Analysis
Through our Inside Insights and Global Research Business Network newsletters, each week the Insights Association provides members with important legal alerts, exclusive articles, interviews with corporate researchers and other proprietary content.
Membership includes involvement in Chapters (11 regional/1 international), providing exceptional local networking and education. This chapter structure may be expanded at the recommendation of the Canadian Advisory Council to provide local engagement across Canada.
Access to On-Staff Privacy & Compliance Experts
Information on privacy strategies and assistance with drafting company privacy policies; guidance and checklists on legal and regulatory compliance; Code interpretations; model contracts and forms readily adaptable for internal use and to meet client requirements.
Peer-to-Peer Legal Discussions
The General Counsel & Privacy Officers Forum is open only to General Counsel and Privacy Officers representing member companies. Attendees representing member companies and corporate research departments.may participate in-person or by teleconference from anywhere in the world.
Customized Data Security Guidance
Assistance in upgrading to a world-class data security management system and culture to prevent data breaches and meet client requirements.
Building A Stronger, More Inclusive Industry
The Insights Association has worked closely during the past year with numerous organizations to expand and enrich resources for our members, including Women in Research (WIRe) in support of their diversity initiatives. The Insights Association also has a proven record and decades-long success providing its members with…
- Superior networking with both corporate researchers and research company executives at Insights Association events; Company members qualify for substantial discounts to attend, exhibit and sponsor.
- Increased exposure – Company membership includes free listings in both our Blue Book Marketing Research Services & Focus Group Facility Directory and our website’s Company Member Directory.
- A Platform for Thought Leadership – members are on the inside track to write articles for Insights Association publications and to speak at our events.
- Market Differentiation through use of the Insights Association Company Member logo on your website and publications, signifying your compliance with our Code and support of our advocacy efforts.
- E&O/Professional Liability and Cyber Security Insurance – Company members receive discounted premiums and coverage specifically tailored to research and analytics companies.
- Benchmarking – Identify underperforming facets of your business through members-only, industry-focused Business Benchmarking and Compensation Surveys which provide data you can’t find elsewhere.
A Little About Us
Success in this new world favors the smartest, best connected and most reputable. Members of the Insights Association are the world's leading producers of intelligence, analytics and insights defining the needs, attitudes and behaviors of consumers, organizations and their employees, students and citizens. With that essential understanding, leaders can make intelligent decisions and deploy strategies and tactics to successfully create and promote products, services and ideas. With members based in more than 40 countries worldwide and operating in more than 100, the Insights Association directly supports them to achieve these goals.
Launched in 2017, the Insights Association was formed through the merger of CASRO and MRA. Combined, we have more than a century of experience dedicated to expanding, protecting and furthering the research/analytics/insights industry. Today, the Insights Association is a unified, high-profile voice that is effectively advancing the insights industry and profession in which we all share a passion.
All Insights Association revenue is invested in quality standards, legal and business advocacy, education, certification and direct support to enable our members to thrive in an evolving industry and drive business impact.
Company membership, offered to research/analytics or service provider organizations, provides benefits to all research/analytics-related employees within your company, regardless of location. Corporate research department membership, offered to internal research/analytics departments within corporations, government entities, non-profits, and associations, provides benefits to all research/analytics department(s) employees, regardless of location. Using these links, you can review our membership benefits and a list of our company and corporate research department members.
Expanding International Influence
The Insights Association provides access to a vast international network providing business and regulatory information and support as a Founding Member of the Global Research Business Network (GRBN), an affiliation of more than 40 national market research associations worldwide. An International Chapter was formed in 2018 as a result of expanding global reach and rapidly increasing number of internationally-based members. This Chapter’s Board of Directors works alongside our Global Engagement Committee and partners with GRBN to provide education, networking, and growth opportunities to our members around the globe. Extensive insights-specific GDPR resources also are available to members.
That's a start. Join us!