December 17, 2020 – The Insights Association has announced the revision and expansion of the association’s individual certification program previously known as PRC or Professional Researcher Certification.
While more than 1,600 insights and research professionals have been certified as PRC, certification holders expressed a desire to be recognized for the outcome of the research process rather than the process itself. The Association therefore modernized the name to Insights Professional Certification or “IPC” with immediate effect, qualifying all individuals who previously earned the PRC designation providing they meet the renewal requirements.
“Technology has transformed the insights industry and broadened its impact and complexity, requiring the need for multiple pathways towards certification at different levels,” said Melanie Courtright, CEO of the Insights Association. “We’ve worked closely with industry education providers to offer the broadest support yet for certification. Employers of insights and analytics professionals can now look to IPC and its specialty certifications to identify the highest achievers in the industry while incentivizing and securing individual productivity and efficiency.”
The new program includes revised requirements for recognizing the most qualified in the marketing research, insights and data analytics industry on three levels:
- IPC Laureate is an honorary designation available by invitation from the Insights Association Board of Directors
- IPC Master requires a decade of industry experience and proof of broad expertise
- IPC Principal requires three years of industry experience and proof of broad expertise
The Insights Association has also created five new specialty certifications recognizing professionalism in subsets of the insights process and of the requirements for IPC Principal & IPC Master. Specialty certifications do not require continuing education credits.
- IPC Analytics recognizes those with advanced understanding of data analysis, analytic techniques, the use of secondary data, and synthesis. Research Rockstar and the University of Georgia currently provide courses to support this certification.
- IPC Practitioner recognizes those with advanced understanding of the research process, research design and data identification, and the current framework of ethical and legal best practices. The University of Georgia currently provides courses to support this certification.
- IPC Qualitative recognizes those with advanced understanding in designing and managing qualitative research and analyzing and reporting the results of qualitative research. The Burke Institute, Research Rockstar, and RIVA Training Institute currently provide courses to support this certification.
- IPC Quantitative recognizes those with advanced understanding of sampling, quantitative data collection methods, and questionnaire design. The Burke Institute, Research Rockstar, and the University of Georgia currently provide courses to support this certification.
- IPC Specialist is a customizable certification that recognizes mastery of any three of the thirteen topics of the MRII/The University of Georgia’s MRCBOK™ (Market Research Core Body of Knowledge). The Burke Institute, Cambiar, Research Rockstar, RIVA Training Institute, and The University of Georgia Center for Continuing Education currently provide courses to support this certification.
Each specialty IPC either requires successfully completing the relevant courses from the education providers listed above or taking and passing a test for each specialty. Individuals may qualify for more than one IPC specialty. Past participants in programs from each of the educational providers are being notified of the certifications they qualify for based on past course completion.
IA also has announced the following improvements to the IPC Principal certification:
- IPC Principal will be recognized for three years from the date of issue. To renew, a certification holder will need to:
- Complete and verify that they have spent 10 hours per year on continuing education (CE) and professional development (PD) which satisfy IPC Guidelines through an honor system backstopped by IA audits. This CE and PD can come from education providers outside the insights industry.
- Candidates with three years of industry experience who are graduates of the University of Georgia Principles of Market Research course are eligible for IPC Principal without further testing.
- Those with three years of industry experience and a Master of Market Research, Master of Survey Research, or a Master of Science in Data Analytics or equivalent are eligible for IPC Principal without further testing.
Current PRC holders can immediately display the IPC Principal certification. Past PRC holders may apply for renewal to be recognized as IPC Principal. IA Certificates offered by non-exclusive arrangement with Research Rockstar are still available to members and non-members.
For more information, please visit insightsassociation.org/IPC.