MRA enlisted several researchers attending the Corporate Researchers Conference in Dallas last week to report back summaries & insights from the conference sessions. This report is on “The Next Evolution of Shopper Insights…Behavior Design” by William Leach, Director Of Shopper Insights at PepsiCo.
Marketers need to understand the different types of human thinking and how they influence behavior.
- “Impacting behavior is difficult”
- “It is a myth that marketing can create an emotional value to brands”
- “Building shopper choice is key using behavior design”
- “Behavior design is focused on driving business through consumer decisions”
- “Consumers are feeling machines that think”
There are 3 factors that influence choice:
- Environmental – music, temperature and other subconscious elements
- Social – conformity effect (herd effect), our minds like to copy other people
Anchoring price options and choices to these factors impacts decisions. Get as close to and understand context as possible.