Independent dispute resolution for companies self-certifying to the EU-U.S. and Swiss U.S. Privacy Shield Frameworks
Does Your Company Work in Europe?
Consider Joining The Insights Association Privacy Shield Program
The EU-U.S. and Swiss-U.S. Privacy Shield Frameworks were designed to enable U.S. businesses to receive and process personal data from EU countries and Switzerland after self-certifying adherence to the requirements of the Frameworks, including those protections set out in the Privacy Shield Principles. A company's self-certification to the Privacy Shield through the U.S. Department of Commerce and appearance on the public Privacy Shield List maintained by the Department demonstrates to European organizations and consumers a serious commitment on the part of the company to protect personal information in accordance with a set of privacy principles that offer meaningful privacy protections and recourse for EU and Swiss individuals.
While joining the Privacy Shield is voluntary, once an eligible company makes the public commitment to comply with the Framework requirements, the commitment will become enforceable under U.S. law. Research and data analytics companies that participate in the Privacy Shield Program are obligated to protect the personal data of Europeans received under the Privacy Shield.
The Insights Association is here to offer our member companies the guidance they need to understand and meet the requirements of the Privacy Shield Frameworks.
"Participation in the Privacy Shield Program provides an additional measure of assurance that we are able to comply with personal data transfer requirements of the EU and Switzerland. Additionally, it enables us to better indicate that our policies and procedures for data transfer from the EU to the US are in compliance with the changes to the EU data privacy regulations. I’m very pleased to have the help that the Insights Association has provided. The benefits, especially for a smaller research organization, are significant."
- Rich Berke, Vice President of Finance and Legal Affairs, HCD Research, Inc.
You should explore this program if your company:
- Operates in the EU or Switzerland and/or collects EU/Swiss customer or employee data
- Processes EU/Swiss data in the U.S. for a business partner that adheres to the Privacy Shield Principles
- Handles the personal data of EU/Swiss individuals
The Insights Association Privacy Shield Program offers:
- Comprehensive regulatory and compliance support to members self-certifying to the Privacy Shield Frameworks
- Dispute resolution facilitated by the International Centre for Dispute Resolution/American Arbitration Association (ICDR/AAA)
- Guidance through the registration and self-certification process with the U.S. Department of Commerce
By participating in the Insights Association Privacy Shield Program your company:
- Complies with the third-party dispute resolution requirements of the Privacy Shield Frameworks
- Demonstrates to business partners your commitment to protecting the data of EU and Swiss individuals
- Builds trust with clients and with research participants.
Why should your company choose to participate in the Insights Association Privacy Shield Program?
- The Insights Association knows your business
- The Insights Association is always available to provide guidance to our members
- The Insights Association supports your understanding and implementation of the Privacy Shield self-certification process
- Independent complaint handling by the International Centre for Dispute Resolution/American Arbitration Association (ICDR/AAA)
Enrollment in the Insights Association Privacy Shield Program is open ONLY to company and corporate research department members.
If you’re unsure if your organization is a company or corporate research department member, check here.
If you are an individual member and would like to convert to company or corporate research department membership in order to enroll in this program, please contact Nicole Symelidis.
Please contact Juliana Wood, Director of Certifications, with any questions.